Friday, February 10, 2012

Viral Pneumonia

So last week my youngest son started to have a runny nose and started coughing.  The boys get like this every time the weather changes it seems.  Here in Houston, it has been raining a lot lately which we need.  So I started giving my son treatments everyday to help break up the mucus.  As of Friday morning, his chest was beating so fast.  It looked like you could see his heart beating on the outside of his skin because it was so rapid.  It scared me to death.  I called his doctor to see if I could get an appointment.  The nurse told me to go ahead and bring him in.  Thank goodness I was telling myself.  So I got myself and my younger son ready and headed up to the doctor's office. 

You can tell the crud was going around because all the little kids were all coughing and looked so helpless.  We didn't wait long till they called us back which was a relief.  Sometimes you have an appointment and it seems like your there for an hour before you even get called.  This was not the case this day.  So they weighed him, measured his height, and took his temperature (which was around 101) before we went back to the room.  The nurse asked what brought us in today and I explained what was going on.   So we waited for the doctor to come in.  At this time, his heart beats had slowed down then when it was beating so fast at our house.  The doctor came in and started checking him out.  First off the bat, she stated he had double ear infections in both ears.  I felt so bad.  Then she listened to him breathe.  She didn't like the way he sounded and said he was wheezing.  She wanted to test his blood so he had to get a finger prick.  He thought that wasn't to bad.  The blood work came good.  She then told me that she would like for him to get a chest x-ray at the hospital next door.  While she was getting the paperwork together, she said she wanted to him a steroid shot in his leg before he left.  This was not going to be fun since I hate needles.  The nurse came in with the shot, etc.  I immediately can't look at them and hold his hands while almost laying on him to hold him down.  The nurse told me she was ready and I was trying to talk to him to hold my hands tight.  I mean telling a 3 yr. old to hold my hands tight, well poor baby tried.  The nurse stuck the shot in this leg and boy did he scream.  He did not like that at all and I didn't either.  My poor baby was in pain.  After we stayed there a little bit to make sure he didn't have a reaction I got him ready to leave.  She wanted us to also come back the next day to see him again and check him out.  She stated she wanted me to give him 4 treatments a day and then gradually decrease it.  Wow, that seemed a lot to me. She had also mentioned that we as parents don't like to give that much treatments so we usually only give them one like I had done.  She said anytime he starts to cough, etc to start giving him 4 treatments daily.  I thought the treatments were for only wheezing, but I guess not. 

So we went next door to get a chest x-ray.  While waiting in the waiting room, he stated he wanted to call his Meme (which is my mom).  I had already been texting her the whole morning keeping her informed.  He kept telling her that he was not sick.  It was cute and the other patients waiting started smiling at him.    He did great because the x-ray tech explained to him what was happening and they were going to take a picture of him.  He liked that and he liked that we were able to go home now.

We go home and just sit back and wait for the doctor to call back for his results.  Later that evening the phone rings from the doctors office.  The nurse tells me that he has Viral Pneumonia and to follow up in the morning.  Great, I was thinking. Poor little guy and I had no idea it was this bad.  I felt really bad now.  The rest of the night I just wanted to cuddle with him and let him know it was okay. 

We follow up the next morning and doctor still says he wheezing.  She also wants to give him another shot in his leg.  Please no!! Here we go again with the screaming, etc.  This poor little guy is not going to come back with me to the doctor anymore if this keeps happening. 

I could tell his medicine was making him tired.  One of the medicines was so bad that he didn't want to take it.  I don't blame him because I hate taking medicine as well unless it was flavored and chewable.  I still to this day hate to swallow those big pills when I get sick.  Yuck!  This past week he missed a classmates birthday party and running around, but I took the gift up there because we had already RSVP.  I told his teachers to watch him if they were going outside because I didn't want him running around.  I definitely knew he didn't feel well all week long because he asked to lay down.  After his treatments, he would be sitting on the couch and the next thing you know he was out.  This was not like him at all because he loves playing with his brother. I just wish he would get better.  This morning it is raining again and supposed to bring a cold front behind it.  Stop with all this wishy washy weather for my little man to get better.

A Chic Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment